Monday, August 8, 2016

Le Crypto, The Best Known Secret in Reims

cryptoporticus is a covered passageway, and there is an ancient Gallo-Roman one in Reims about one block away from the restaurant named Le Crypto

Cryptography is defined as the enciphering and deciphering of messages using a secret code, which is something you already know if you've read the Da Vinci Code, or watched the movie. 

I'm not sure which word Le Crypto is referring to with its name, but it was my favorite restaurant in Reims, and it's definitely not a secret nor hidden away in a passageway:) They have lunch time menus for around 20 Euros ($23 USD) and daily specials at dinner that run about the same price for a main course. My friend and I passed by one afternoon and both did double takes as we saw the plates being delivered to the diners on the sidewalk terrace, so we came back at night for dinner.

A chilled melon amuse bouche with écrivisses (crayfish) was offered, and my friend liked hers, but I found the melon a bit too sweet for my taste. Upon seeing that I didn't eat my amuse bouche, our waitress asked if I liked it and I honestly told her I didn't like the sweet taste.
A few minutes later she came back with this delightful zucchini version which I thoroughly enjoyed. I found it exceptionally generous and graceful of them to provide me an alternative for a taste that was gratis simply because my preference was different. Kudos for the professionalism of the waitress noticing that I didn't eat the dish and bravo to the chef for offering an alternative.
 We both chose the souris d'agneau (leg of lamb) but with different sides, I chose the vegetables,
and my friend chose the whipped potatoes. Yes the plates were as huge as they look, and we could have easily shared one plate and been very full, but the flavors were so good, and the meat falling off the bone tender, that we managed to eat most of our portions. 
My friend spied the macaron, sorbet, and berry dessert for 11 Euros ($12 USD) at another table and she somehow found room for this beautiful and light ending to our meal. We chose a nice bottle of rosé to accompany our meal and we left feeling that life is indeed as beautiful as the song La Vie en Rose :)



No comments:

Post a Comment