Sunday, May 20, 2012

JR's BBQ

Having had ribs in Memphis at Central, Corky's, and Interstate BBQ, it was wonderful to find JR's BBQ here in Culver City serving great Memphis style dry rub ribs.


This family owned (mom is the J and son is the R) place is warm, friendly, and spotlessly clean, with perfectly cooked meat done over mesquite, white oak and pecan wood. Their secret recipes should be kept in a vault if they aren't already.

I like the beef ribs dry with just a dab of the hot sauce, which I am happy to say is actually HOT and smoky. The meat is tender, but holds together enough to give it some texture, for those who have tried ribs in Memphis, JR's is similar to Central BBQ's style. The quality of the food here makes this place a favorite for fans of Memphis BBQ, and the prices make this place a bargain for big families or groups. For families, the family pack meals serve four people with sides and prices starting at only $24! My half serving was 5 big beef ribs was only $14 and generous enough to feed two hungry people or one starving linebacker.



My friend ordered the pork ribs with a mild sauce, served with beans and cole slaw. I tasted both the tender rich beans, and the crisp cole slaw, and I could have easily made of meal of just the sides.


I had to try the collard greens and I was glad I did because the only rivals to a version this good were from chefs (both from the South) who no longer work in Los Angeles.


It's a great sign when the details of side dishes like corn muffins are done with a deft light hand.


The piece de resistance was their famous sock-it-to-me cake for $3.75 which was about 7" long and 4" wide (for ONE serving). This lightly sweetened streusel cake topped with a thin layer of icing would be a great breakfast pastry as well as a dessert.


Memphis BBQ without a 3.5 hour flight, fantastic sides, and a family who love their clients makes JR's is a triple winner.

J.R.'S Barbeque on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment