Wednesday, May 13, 2009

RockSugar Pan Asian Kitchen

One of my friends knew about RockSugar coming to Century City's Westfield Mall months before the restaurant opened last year, but it wasn't until today that I actually went to try out this spectacular restaurant.

The entrance is jaw-dropping, with a comfortable outdoor waiting area set up in a garden like atmosphere, complete with tables, comfy couches, and beautiful lanterns hung high above the open space. The entire decor was shipped in from Thailand and the interior was modeled after a temple in Thailand. The first thing you see walking inside is the giant golden Buddha above the host station flanked by huge gilt columns, mirrored with another wooden Buddha above the outside patio area.

The feel of the restaurant is serene, with dark chairs, white tablecloth covered tables, and decorative fabric lined booths built for two. The gold and colored accents are just that, accents, and not at all overbearing. I asked for a seat outdoors on the wind protected patio and I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the walls outside was a cascading waterfall, adding a nice view for those seated facing the wall of the restaurant instead of Santa Monica Blvd.

My server Richard, was pleasant, attentive, and had a great sense of humor, telling me he wanted me to drink my lunch when he inadvertently handed me the wine list instead of a menu. The menu is a medley of different Asian cuisines, ranging from Pad Thai, to Pho, raw Hamachi, and lacquered BBQ ribs. There are numerous choices for vegetarians and low carb eaters as well as an ample selection of meats and fish for all the protein lovers. No matter where in Asia or Southeast Asia your palate takes you, you will find something to feast on here. I ordered the Dungeness crab with cellophane noodles but they were sold out by the time I arrived, so I went with the short ribs with vermicelli noodles instead. It was a tasty spicy mix of thinly sliced beef, sliced carrots, red chilies, cucumber, and cold vermicelli noodles served with a cut up hot eggroll of meat and clear rice noodles. It was a nice combination of cool, spicy, and hot all in one dish. This is fusion at its best. I also tried the blood orange sangria and liked it even though sangria is usually too sweet for me, this blood orange version was tart enough to for me to drink it with a smile.

Go try them for lunch with a friend because for two or more people, they offer a special prix fixe lunch menu for only $12.95 for three dishes or $14.95 for four dishes per person. Next time I will bring more people so we can all taste the varied menu at prix fixe prices and maybe split a dessert, like their home made coconut doughnuts with passion fruit sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment