Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pablo Picasso's Parisian Birthday Present

Today is Pablo Picasso's birthday and Paris celebrated by reopening the Picasso Museum after 5 years of renovations. Located in the Hôtel Salé, a historical former residence, the museum displays 5,000 pieces of his work (the biggest collection in the world) as well as 150 pieces of other artists such as Cézanne, Matisse, and Gauguin.
I only saw the news that the opening day was today with the regular hours of 9:30am-6:00pm, not knowing that because it was the grand opening the doors actually opened at noon. I got there at 11:15am and there was already a huge line, so I waited, knowing it would only be a much longer wait if I came back later.
The crowd control was very well organized; I heard the Museum director say she was very pleased that over 4000 people were already queued up for over five blocks at opening time. Those at the end of the line were in for at least a three hour wait to get to the entrance!
The restoration of the building was spectacular.
Three floors of various periods and mediums gave fans plenty to peruse.

This was my favorite Picasso,
but this was my favorite piece, a Gauguin :)

1 comment:

  1. Ooh the place looks great. Makes me want to be there on opening day. I like the architecture of the museum from the outside.

    ReplyDelete