Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cayo Perivolos Beach

I had lunch one day at Perivolos beach, just to see if the food at this quiet beach was as fabulous as Kamari, where I was staying. After walking up and down the two block stretch of beachfront restaurants, I chose to eat at Cayo, which seemed laid back, local, and when the manager assured me that if I did not like the moussaka he would not charge me, I said, ok.

This is the view from the restaurant, unlike Kamari, there is only one side of the beachfront road which is built up with restaurants (and only six restaurants in total along the entire stretch).


I started with a Santorini salad, made with local cheese, sun dried tomatoes, arugula and spring greens. Unfortunately there was so much (and so much dressing) that I could only manage to eat about a third of this dish. The arugula had large chewy stems, so it was definitely wild, but not very tender.

The moussaka was made with the famous white eggplant of Santorini, making it tender and slightly sweet (no bitterness at all). It was a huge portion (enough for two) and good enough that I did not have to ask for it to be taken off the bill :-)


I was served a complimentary wedge of watermelon for dessert and it was a welcome refreshment after the rich moussaka.

I ordered a Greek Coffee to end my meal, and for those of you who have never had it, it is strong like espresso, but made with grounds, so you drink only about half of this cup or you will literally end up with grounds in your mouth because it is not filtered like espresso.



Cayo was very friendly and the view was unbeatable, but the food compared to my favorite places in Kamari and Firostefani fell short, so I went back to one of my favorite restaurants in Kamari for dinner, Nichteri (tomorrow's post).

No comments:

Post a Comment